The Dr was in a meeting, so we had to wait a bit (we brough DSs and snacks so we were prepared!) but once the Dr came in and saw him, he gave the Ortho Tech instructions on how to cast it and it didn't take long after that.
I'm not sure if the Tech misunderstood or what, but the first try had the cast mid-thigh, just like the temporary one was. I was REALLY hoping we could have something lower so that movement would be easier for Zach (especially in the washroom!).
The Dr came back in to inspect it and agreed that it could be lower, so the Ortho Tech sawed the top part off so it's just above the knee in front, but just below in the back. The idea is that is still supports the joint, but Zach can bend it more.
We brought Brad along since we had to leave for our appointment long before his bus would get here in the morning, and I didn't want to ask someone to come that early just for that, so he acted as my photographer while Zach got the new cast on.
At first, the Tech was going to let Brad do what Dustin ended up doing (holding Zach's leg up and still!!) but Zach freaked out more than usual at the idea, and I spoke up and suggested that maybe Dustin could do it instead, and Brad could snap a few pictures.
It really wasn't a long process, but true to character, Zach panicked and cried with step of the process and itty-bitty movement.
He'd been doing SO well the last couple of days with pain; he's really getting the hang of the crutches to get around better too (I'm not carrying him anymore!). He had a little mishap in the parkade right before our appointment that made him put weight on his broken leg, and of course, it was extremely painful. So I'm hoping the next time we go in to the Cast Clinic, in 2 weeks, he'll have a better experience and a lot less pain.
Playing DS while waiting for the Dr

The Tech checking how far he could bend his foot up - it wasn't high enough for a walking cast yet, but I'm hoping next time it will be!
Finished, but still not impressed. He claims it still hurt, but when the Dr checked it again, he said it wasn't the break hurting, but the muscles around it that havent done anything all week.
Zach was given "home work" to do. A few basic leg movements to work the muscles more.

No comments:
Post a Comment