Dustin has been relentless in asking me to come out snowmobiling with him when he takes the boys out. "No" is almost an automatic response. So when he asked me a few weeks ago, for the billionth time, the knee-jerk reaction was "Not interested." It's not a hard choice for me; stay inside and soak in the jet tub in peace and quiet while the three of them are outside, OR join the 'Frozen Snotcicle Club' outside. Hmmm, right??
Then, I actually thought a moment about it, and the whole idea of give-and-take in a marriage. Dustin has been getting into the Twilight books and movies, which I know he's doing as a special effort to take an interest in something I enjoy - trust me, he would not be reading these books for any other reason. So if he's reading 400 page novels to be able to discuss them with me-- I really could try snowmobiling right? It's only fair.
So I sucked it up, bundled up, and agreed to come sledding. Not only come along, but actually drive one of the death machines myself (or so I thought they were).
He let me have my way and put me on the the little old Bravo first. My thinking was it's smaller, easier to handle, and closer to the ground for when I bite it. (not if; when.)
After maybe 50 yards, and a few snow dunes that I almost tipped Brad and myself off the machine on (oh yes, I got to learn with a passenger! Can't leave the kiddos home alone.) Dustin convinced me to get on his ZL500 Arctic Cat. I know it's not a crazy racing machine, but it just looked scary compared to the Bravo. It has a massive hood out front, and it's probably twice the size of the Bravo in general.
But ... 'give and take', right? I knew it would make him happy, so I agreed. Worst thing that could happen was I would ask to trade back.
Um... that's not gonna happen! ... that Cat is awesome! No tippy feelings, no jerky starts, hand warmers. I did not trade back.
We came inside, reeking of 2 stroke exhaust (ew!), but with smiles on our faces. Brad told me I did well 'for a beginner', which made me smile. He probably could have driven better at his ripe old age of 8 years - it's something to do with having the Y chromosome that makes you able to drive anything almost perfectly the first time, but his compliment was heartfelt and I knew he was hoping I would join them again yet.
Had I not come down with the stomach flu two hours later, we probably would have been back out sledding the next day.
It took a couple weeks for us all to clear that nasty flu, so this past weekend was the next time we all went out together. Zach rode with Dustin on the Bravo, and Brad rode with me on the Cat. I can see in a few years, getting another bigger machine and doing longer trips than just puttering around town here. The Bravo isn't very comfortable for Dustin and Zach, so our outings aren't terribly long.
Dustin is enticing me that we could sled out to my parents with the kids yet... that's about a 30km ride. I know Dustin has done 200 mile rides with his buddies, but I think I'll need to work up to it with distance. That part is still a little scary for me. He's hoping I'll agree to another machine right away though... lol.
Anyway - like I said, I'm eating my words, mmm, yum!
I. Had. Fun. Snowmobiling.
Yes, Dustin, you can quote me on it.


No comments:
Post a Comment