Post Subject

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A hard thought...

Do you favour one of your children? (if you have kids, and more than one I mean) A friend asked me that the other day and I'm mulling it over still. It's a little hard for me to say it, but I think I do. And as I'm guessing it is with most moms who will admit to it - I favour the baby in the family.
Brad just seems so mature to me, and his quick wit and humour are so far beyond his 8 years of age that I have to remind myself at times when he's acting "immature" that he is only 8.
Zach, on the other hand, acts his age ALL the time it seems, and I have to remind myself that he's only 6 when I'm expecting more of him.
The favouritism comes in when they're arguing about stuff. I know I take Zach's side far too often because he's the 'baby' ... I am slowly learning that he KNOWS that I do that, and will milk it for all it's worth- and I'm seeing more often how unfair that is to Brad. Slowly but surely I am wising up to it.
I wonder if I'm at all justified in saying that I favour Brad at times too because he's the older child. Like he gets to do more stuff that his younger brother, watch different shows, etc. Maybe not.

Although I may favour one child at times, I can honestly say that I love them equally. I couldn't breathe if I were to lose one of them. It's in that statement that I know I'm doing the best I can as their mom, (albeit I'm so far from perfect I will no doubt be paying for therapy for them at some point!) and that I can sleep at night.
Hopefully that shines through to them more than anything else: I love them and I'm trying.

2 comments:

  1. I used to think that TJ favored Brooklyne over Madison because everyone said she looked like him, and M like me. Now as Tristan has reached the age of being a toddler, I have recently realized, he favors the AGE of a toddler. He favors Tristan over the other girls, because he loves how fun 2 year olds can be. I was happy to have discovered that, and that he didn't jsut not like one of our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's probably an age thing. That's why Zach gets it from me, he's the youngest -Dustin probably favours Brad though, he and Zach are SO much a like that they butt heads so much. Maybe we're fair then??;)

    ReplyDelete